you're reading...
Naomi, Sam, The Boat

The First 3 days Pt 2: The Launch Party!

At 6pm we arrived at the Benjamin Perry Scout Hut and started setting up. People were arriving, clustering round the dock and venturing along the wobbly jetty to marvel at Lexia, bobbing there covered in fluttering bunting.  Our parents arrived, and to my great delight, all my Mum’s brothers and sisters, wearing huge smiles. We screened the roughcuts of our current crop of films, as one by one the pink-clad Ambling Band arrived in full pirate swing. Turns out a lot of them are boaters too. The Euphonium player in particular had a lot of piercing questions about our route. As soon as they kicked up their brassy party sound all the stress melted away. We danced. Suddenly it was 10pm. People started asking if we were really leaving. We probably were. It all seemed both too soon and just right. We ran a gauntlet of warm hugs and I found myself on the jetty with a bottle of Champagne in my hand and my nearest and dearest lining the shore. Sam was at the stern, revving the engine. I brought the bottle down on the prow. It bounced off. Embarassing. I raised it high and belted the metal point on the prow. An explosion of booze, glass and dim pain flew over my hand. I leapt on board to cheers and flashbulbs, pulling the prow line after me. As we pulled away, I sucked and licked blood from a deep slash on my right knuckle, hoping nobody would see. Within 5 minutes, we were sliding through the dark, quiet waters of the Harbour. Our exhilaration floated up into the night air, bounced off the underside of low bridges with our laughter. We’ve been talking about this voyage for 4 years. We are finally moving.

Advertisements

Discussion

12 thoughts on “The First 3 days Pt 2: The Launch Party!

1. Hey Naomi ~ Lovely to meet you yesterday, wishing you and Sam and amazing adventure, I’ll be following your adventures somewhat vicariously! Apologies for the heart-in-mouth moment when my Dad nearly ended your adventure early with his slightly over-zealous use of the throttle!!! Take it easy, have fun Jon jonswingler@gmail.com

Posted by Jon | August 23, 2012, 5:34 pm
  2. Please visit Albania, which is less than 20 minutes from Greece (by boat). In Albania rural areas, people live like they did 100 years ago, but everyone lives by food seasons and mainly only buy local produce, peas in a tin is very much laughed at). Its a very friendly (and safe) place to go and dead cheap. In rural areas people are completely self-sufficient, making their own electricity, pumping own water, growing own foods and own animals. Albania won top place to visit 2011 (lonely planet). I really learnt a lot from Albania and can only dream of living like they do, My dream is to move there and live self-sufficient. Please feel free to get in touch if you would like any-more info. Have a great trip!

Posted by siobhan | August 23, 2012, 6:53 pm
    • Yes please Siobhan, sounds really useful. Will take us a while yet to get there but definitely interested. Keep in touch. 🙂

Posted by naomisurvive | August 24, 2012, 3:56 pm
      • Hi Naomi.

I offer to tell you about a marvelous place in the country side heartland: (fascinating and very inexpensive), great cultural background, with cheap electricity from the public grid and unlimited free water, very well communicated, (airport, internet, cellular phone), one hour away driving from some of the best beaches in the world, where you can settle down and grow your own vegetables and raise farm animals.

I am not looking for making a profit other than _since I live there_ sharing with like minded potential neighbors.

If interested contact Gabriel at: baregil@prodigy.net.mx

Posted by Gabriel Valdes | August 27, 2012, 3:02 am
  3. Finally a solution out of this mess –

Posted by 2012 True Jubilee | August 23, 2012, 7:39 pm
  4. Follow the Leader of Eco education of the young people for a better world

Posted by EIA | August 23, 2012, 11:15 pm
  5. In Bosnia and Herzegovina , we have been surviving since 1990 !!!
    People from the west always have a problem about the crisis !!! What about us ??? Come and see , maybe you will have to attend the courses of INGENUITY !!!

Posted by Branka | August 24, 2012, 5:38 am
    • That sounds great, really keen to take you up on it Branka. If we are still going strong after Greece that is the way we want to travel, east up the Adriatic. Meanwhile please send me any links or information you think would be useful for us collapse virgins over in the West! Though I’m sure it’s chiefly about experience…

Posted by naomisurvive | August 24, 2012, 3:55 pm
  6. Well done you two. You will have a wonderful adventure, learn loads about yourselves and definitely come back with different values and skills. I am one who still knows the old ways of preserving and cooking…and cant find anyone who is the slightest interested to learn! But your instincts are good; and you will be one of the few who have the skills and are prepared…mentally as well as physically.

Posted by Stephanie Jill Rudd | August 25, 2012, 7:13 pm
  7. I am, sort of impressed (very brave etc) but also a sceptic. Love the grow your own/ back to the earth side but the projected doom and gloom seems a little too tragic and pessimistic. Great that you are doing all that you are doing, I really do applaud your sense of adventure and desire to relearn much that has been forgotten. However the end of “smug” western civilisation is all a bit rich! You are travelling in a boat, documenting your travels and indeed all that you pick up and learn, in and with the tools that are the spawn of said “smug” civilisation. Much that you have stated is of course true and clearly civilisation will need to change and evolve, but you seem to have forgotten that we have been doing this for millennia. However as i mentioned i support your sense of adventure and as a show of support will don my sandwich board and advise the “smug” western masses of Cabot circus that “The end is nigh”. I trust this will hasten their appreciation of the impending doom and hurry then into action. Happy travels, do keep us posted, I may not entirely agree and will heckle at times but I shall be following avidly!

Posted by Oliver | August 31, 2012, 12:11 am
    • Hi Oliver,
      Thanks for your input. I may well have called the people of Cabot Circus (which included us at times when we lived in Bristol) ‘smug’, but I can’t remember when. Can you remind me?
      You are right that in making films and posting them online we are using the tools and networks enabled by capitalism and highly structured civilisation. It’s already feeling like a conflict to me as we try to combine travelling and learning with filmmaking and publicising. But I think you’re reading a bit too much sneery attitude into what we’re doing. Our minds are more open than you seem to think, and perhaps that’s our fault in the way we have phrased things.
      What we are trying to do is learn skills and approaches that are more useful than carrying on as if we can all continue consuming and growing our economy indefinitely. I don’t believe that is either possible or desirable for us as humans or for the nonhuman world that we rely on and owe respect and love to.
      You are right that humans have been adapting to our circumstances for millenia. We’re not forgetting that. You seem to be forgetting that mass extinctions, extreme poverty, epidemics and the collapses of empires and cultures both sudden and gradual have always been a part of that too. In the affluent West we’ve viewed ourselves as immune from those things for the past 50 years. We’re not.
      I don’t view the potential collapse of our current way of life as necessarily a tragedy: provided we act quickly and salvage enough resources to live simply, without all the wasteful bells and whistles, for generations to come. In time I may come to view my cameras and laptop as being among those bells and whistles, and probably go back to making theatre and writing, in between growing food. For now they and the internet are a very valuable way of spreading ideas.
      Whether you view the collapse of the current system as a tragedy depends on how great you think it is in the first place as a way of distributing resources and growing healthy communities.
      Feel free to don a sandwich board and preach doom and gloom in Cabot circus, you’ll have company there among the Evangelicals. I don’t see that as being what we are about. We’re not seeing any of this as ‘The End Of It All’, but trying to look with hope and determination past it, to new ways we might live.
      Some of the people we interview will have totally different views to our own and that’s what’s going to stimulate a proper discussion about the problems we face.
      I look forward to your input and heckling.

Posted by naomisurvive | August 31, 2012, 1:22 pm